Friday, February 28, 2014

Contentment

I have several devotionals throughout our house. I have them in different places because I find it helps me to keep my focus in the Lord's word each day. I have a calendar devotional on my built in desk in our kitchen. I have had this calendar for many, many years now. I love that it is not year specific so that each years I can use it all over again. The calendar is from Focus on the Family and it is called renewing the heart Spiritual Refreshment for Each New Day.

Today's message was regarding "contentment" and it really hit home for me. In today's society we are constantly being told that they are not good enough.

I have been a stay at home mom now for just over 5yrs and it has taken a long time to feel that I was accepted by friends and even family for this role. I have had many people who could not believe that I would give up my corporate job that I had worked so hard at for 6yrs, a job that paid well and had great benefits. How would we survive on just one income? It was just not possible in this day and age. We were crazy! Why would I just want to be a mom?!?

Maybe we were crazy, but we did it and we have made it work. I have NEVER felt more content in my life than I did about the 3rd year in to being a stay at home mom. The first year was all about worrying we would make it. The second year was all about the shock that we survived the first year and were heading into another year. It wasn't until the third year that my husband and I looked at each other and realized "We've got this!" It was a great feeling! I think it also helped that around that third year I realized I finally had been able to stop explaining myself and our decisions

Thru the last 5yrs of this journey we have thrived as a family, we have planted roots in a home we bought 2yrs ago. We moved to a small town, we started attending a new church that welcomed us with open arms. Our son has made friends and I could not imagine our life any other way.

Our choices have not always been popular with those around us. They just couldn't understand many of the choice we were making from me staying home to raise our son to moving to a small town, to my husband not only changing jobs after 8yrs, but changing careers completely. They could not understand how we could buy a house and brand new van all in a year and a half time frame and all on one income. We made it all work because we wanted to make it work and we trusted that God would help guide us thru it all. He did! He never let us falter in following the path we felt he was calling us to take. He did not always say YES to us when we wanted him to, but none the less he always showed us something better was in his plans. Knowing we were following his path has allowed for me to have great contentment. Because we have learn to trust Him.....For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  ~Jeremiah 29:11.

I often hear my friends or family complain about this and that. They're house isn't big enough, their car is good enough, their husband is lazy, their wife is nagging and it goes on and on and on. I always listen and try to point out the positive often with continued complaints. I have had friends say to me that they are envious of our life. I always tell them the same thing. There is nothing to envy. We have our problems, we don't always agree. We struggle financially. The only difference is that we choose to be content in whatever situation we are in and most importantly to be grateful to the Lord. We praise him when things are good and we praise him even more when things are bad. Because we have a WONDERFUL life even when times are tough.

Today I challenge you to find more contentment in your day!

A contented woman has a healthy, balanced view of God that enhances her value in the church and in society. She isn't perfect, but her deep relationship with God has transformed her pain and personality. In the freedom of His love, she has discovered her uniqueness and is eager to follow His direction for living in this worlds.
~Dr. Deborah Newman, Then God Created Woman

  So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.  ~Colossians 2: 6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment