Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Easy Stove Top Potpourri

After a long day of cleaning the house it always makes me smile when my husband comes home and says "The house sure smells good."  I have shared before that I am all about scents. Like a child comforted by the smell of their mother's perfume or associating a grandmother's house with the wonderful aroma of chocolate chip cookies, scents can be powerful

You can walk into our home at any given time and find my scented wax warmer on or a scented candle lit. In the winter I have a wonderful recipe I use to make the house smell great and add a little humidity back into the air. My favorite thing about my stove top potpourri is that the aromas you can create are endless. 

When I think of Winter, scents that come to mind are cinnamon, apples, clover, nutmeg, oranges and mint. What do you think of?

I am going to share two of my favorite stove top recipes. I will be honest in saying that I very seldom measure anything when making my potpourri. I typically add a bit of this and pinch of that. There is no real science, just whatever smells good to you. I enjoy simmering a pot filled with the ingredients in the afternoon so the house is filled with the wonderful aroma as everyone is coming home. 

Typical Ingredients:
1-3 Oranges
2 Apples
1 Tbs Ground Cinnamon 
1 Tbs All Spice
1 Tbs Vanilla and/or Almond Extract
1/2 of a bag of fresh Cranberries
1 Tsp Peppermint Extract (optional)

Add all the ingredients into a large pot and cover with water. Simmer over medium heat on stove top and add more water as needed. Enjoy the wonderful aroma!





For a great scent in the summer I like to fill a pot with just oranges and vanilla. The smell is light and refreshing. 


 
On an a side note: After you are done simmering the Summer potpourri, strain the water and use it to add a nice citrus aroma to your homemade cleaner. Check out my post Naturally Cleaning Your Home (Recipes) to learn more. 

I want to hear from you. Do you have any stove top potpourri recipes to share? Leave a comment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment