Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent without Borax






It was just after lunch and I went to start our dishwasher only to realize that I was out of those little dishwasher gel packs I typically use. The downfall of living in a small town is that we do not have a grocery store, add in  freezing temps and nap time and a trip to town wasn't going to happen.

After getting kids down for nap and being determined to get my dishes done I decided that I was going to make my own dishwasher detergent. It couldn't be that hard!?! After all, I have made all of our other cleaners.  So, I got on the computer to look up some recipe ideas. To my dismay they all called for ingredients I did not currently have....like borax, castile soap and citric acid.  I did however find good information on why these ingredients are important. So I set out for some trial and error recipes using what I already had in my pantry. Luckily for me, the first recipe worked like a charm. (Don't you just love when that happens?)

I have now ran 6 cycles of dishes through our dishwasher with this new detergent and I will say that I do not plan on buying store bought, chemical ridden, expensive detergent ever again. I love how well it cleans! We have hard water here and it even took care of the spots and cloudiness I typically see on our dishes.

Here are the ingredients: Please not that I made a small batch. You can certainly increase this recipe for larger quantities. I managed 5 cycles with what I made while using 2 Tbs with each cycle.

Ingredients:
1/4 of baking soda
1/4 cup of salt (I used sea salt because that is all we had.)
1/4 fresh squeezed juice from an orange (lemons work great too)
vinegar to use as a rinse aid

Mix the baking soda and salt together in a small bowl. Squeeze the orange juice and pour through a strainer into the bowl to catch any pulp. Combine thoroughly.  The consistency will be a little clumpy which is fine. Now just add 1-2 Tbs of the homemade detergent to your dishwasher in the detergent compartment. Use the vinegar as a  rinse aid  placing in the rinse aid compartment.
Run dishwasher as usual.

Do you have any recipes to share in regards to your own cleaning products? I would love to hear from you on what you have found that works and what doesn't.

Share your stories by leaving a comment. Thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment