Friday, August 7, 2015

Children leave their prints on their Mother's Heart.

Well hello there! How have you all been? I am sorry it has been so long since my last post. I wish I had a good excuse, but I don't. Life just got in the way. We have been very busy this summer.

 I wanted to share a quick post with all of your about a fun craft I did this past May with my daycare kiddos. I was looking to make something meaningful for the kids to give their Moms for Mother's Day and came across this idea. It was super easy to do and cost effective! I can honestly say that getting the finger print heart was the hardest part.

Here is what you need: (All product were purchased at Walmart in the craft/jewelry aisle.)

Model Air Dry Clay in white (or color of your choose) I choose the smaller bricks. I made two necklaces from one brick by splitting it in half.

Acrylic paint and small paint brush

Necklace Chain in desired length

I added the metal crosses but you do not have to add a charm.

Rolling pin

Small heart shaped cookie cutter

Step 1: Divide your clay into desired size and roll into a small smooth ball. Then flatten with rolling pin to desired size and thickness to cut out heart shape with cookie cutter. I advise you make the heart quite thick to better reveal the kid's thumbprints.

Step 2: Have the children use both of their thumbs to make a heart impression inside the heart cut out of the clay. Make sure you leave enough room at the top of the heart to make a hole for the chain. This process took us several attempts. If you make a mistake roll out the dough again and cut out another heart to start over.

Step 3: Once you have the thumbprint heart within the heart cut out, puncture a hole in the top large enough for your chain to fit through it. I used a toothpick to carve out the hole. Set the clay aside to harden for 1-2 hours.

Step 4: Once the clay is hard enough to touch without leaving impressions you can use the acrylic paint to paint the fingerprint heart. When finished, set aside to let the paint dry 1-2 hours

Step 5: Once the paint is completely dry you may add the chain and cross (or other charm). I wanted the cross to be over the heart so I added the chain to the heart and then added the cross.

Here is our finished project.....I presented these to the Mom's with a card that read:

"Children leave their prints on their Mother's Heart."



The kids LOVED making these and the Mom's were so surprised to receive them!

I hope you have as much fun with this project as we did. If you make them please share photos! It would be fun to see your twist on them. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment